Boddington family - histories
Looking for our past!
home > histories > F
H Shaw JP
Family tree |
Henry SHAW b.1842 |
Frederick Henry Shaw JP
From the Huddersfield Examiner, Friday 7th March 1902
Death of Mr. F. H. Shaw J.P. of Inglewood.
In the evening edition of the Examiner on Thursday
it was our painful duty to record, briefly, as the sad news only
came to hand late, the Mr. Frederick Henry Shaw, J.P., of Inglewood,
had passed away suddenly. Mr Shaw had not been well for some time.
In fact, about Christmas, he was suffering from a severe cold, but
nothing serious was apprehended. About a fortnight ago Mr. Shaw was
attacked with inflammation of the windpipe, and his medical adviser,
Dr. Rolfe, was called in, and the patient's health so far improved
that he was able to attend to business on Tuesday. He stayed at home
on Wednesday, and it was expected that he would be able to be at
the warehouse again on Thursday ; but about half-past one in
the afternoon he died suddenly from failure of the heart's action.
Mr. Shaw was the son of Mr. Henry Shaw, who died
many years ago, and who, with his brother, Mr. John William Shaw,
started manufacturing at Lockwood, where they built Victoria Mills.
They also carried on business as Messrs. J. W. and H. Shaw, and woollen
merchants, but about forty-five years ago they separated, and Mr.
Henry Shaw thereafter carried on the business of woollen cloth merchant
in St. George's Square, under the title of Messrs. J. W. and H. Shaw.
Mr. F. H. Shaw afterwards became a member of the firm, as did also
Mr. Benjamin Eastwood, of Fitzwilliam Street, who retired from the
firm some time ago.
Mr. F. H. Shaw was a man of wide sympathies, and
he was enthusiastic in the interests of any cause he espoused. He
was a warm supporter of the Lifeboat Institution, and some years
ago when there was held in Huddersfield a demonstration on behalf
of the institution, he was one of the prominent leaders in it, along
with the late Mr. Henry Kilner.
Mr. Shaw took a very active part in the Huddersfield
and Holmfirth Fire Brigades Friendly Society years ago, and to the
last maintained a very warm interest in its welfare. He was a trustee
and vice-president of the society. For many years, when a fire occurred,
he was often one of the first to attend and render practical help.
Mr. Shaw was one of the founders of the Huddersfield
Golf Club, and along with Mr. J. H. Dransfield, was joint secretary,
for the first year of the club's existence, and he afterwards joined
the committee on which he served well. He was an enthusiastic golfer,
and his death will be much regretted by the members, who will miss
his genial presence at their gatherings.
Mr. Shaw's support of and interest
in local institutions, such as the Penny Bank, the Huddersfield Chamber
of Commerce (on the Council of which he served in 1893 and 1894),
and the Infirmary (on the Board of Management of which he served
for a period of three years) are too well known to need special reference.
Mr. Shaw took great interest in the
Volunteer movement, and his two sons—Mr. Arthur Shaw and Mr.
the Huddersfield Volunteers as lieutenants. The former became captain
in the local battalion, and on going to Frome, Somersetshire for
business reasons joined the Volunteers there. Mr. Percy Shaw offered
himself for service in South Africa, and joined the Imperial Yeomanry
force, in which he took a commission, and extracts from one or two
of his letters have been published in the Examiner. He is
still in South Africa.
Religiously Mr. Shaw was brought up as a Baptist,
and attended with his father at Bath Buildings Chapel ; but
of late years he and his family attended Lindley Church, of which
the family have proved very warm supporters.
Politically Mr. Shaw was brought up as a Liberal ;
but at the time when Mr. Gladstone brought in his Home Rule Bill
for Ireland he found that he could not follow him, and joined in
the formation of the Huddersfield Liberal Unionist Association, of
which body at the time of his death he was a vice-president.
Mr. Shaw became a Borough Magistrate
on the 12th of June, 1899, and so far as we could observe he was
always ready to "temper justice with mercy," and had a
tender side for those who were poor and helpless.
Mr. Shaw leaves a widow, two sons, and four daughters
to mourn their sad and sudden bereavement.
The flag is displayed half-mast high on the warehouse
in St. George's Square.
From the Huddersfield Examiner, Monday 10th March 1902
Funeral of Mr. F. H. Shaw
The funeral of the late Mr. Fredk.
Henry Shaw, of Inglewood, Edgerton, and a member of the firm of Messrs
J. W. & H.
Shaw, took place on Saturday. Many tokens of regret and mourning
were shown, and in the immediate vicinity of the late residence of
the deceased gentleman, all the blinds had been drawn. About one
o'clock a detachment of twenty police, under Sergt. Smith, and eight
firemen, under Superintendent Cundall, the whole under the chief
constable (Mr. J. Morton) assembled outside the house, having been
conveyed from the centre of the town by a special car. In the meantime,
a large number of mourners had also put in an appearance, and subsequently
a move was made for Lindley Church, where the interment was to take
place. The principal mourners were Mr.
F. A. Shaw (son), Mr.
and Mrs. W. Johnson, of Harrogate (son-in-law and daughter), Master
Guy Johnson, Misses
Muriel and Kathleen
Shaw (daughters), and Mr.
Boddington (son-in-law). Among others present were the Mayor
(Alderman Ernest Woodhead, M.A.), Alderman J. E. Williams, J.P.,
Mr. Charles Mills, Mr T. P. Crossland, Mr. J. Le~ Walker, Mr. F.
W. Bentley, Mr. John W. Crossley, Mr. T. Heron, Mr. B. Eastwood (a
late partner of the firm of the deceased gentleman), and Mr. H. B.
Hope. Mr. F. Varley and Mr. D. F. Eastwood (present partners) ;
Mr. F. C. Wigglesworth, Mr. John E. Webb, and Mr. Michael Sykes,
vice-presidents, and Mr. Frank Shaw, secretary, of the Huddersfield
Liberal Unionist Club ; Mr. J. W. Sykes, Mr. A. J. Brooke, Mr.
B. Field, and Mr. Herbert Smith, representing the Commercial Travellers'
Mr. G, D. Moxon junr., of the London City and Midland Bank ;
Mr. C. E. Drake, representing W. E. Yates Ltd., manufacturers, Leeds ;
and Mr. T. E. Watkinson, of Standeven and Co., Halifax. There were
also present all the workpeople engaged at the warehouse of Messrs.
J. W. and Henry Shaw, ten of whom acted as bearers. A number of carriages
were sent as follows :—Mr. F. W. Bentley, Mr. Jos. Brooke,
Mrs. Sam Learoyd (Sherwood House), Colonel John Liddle (Burbank,
Edgerton), Mrs. David Midgley, Mr. Henry Martin, Mr. G. P. Norton,
Alderman R. M. Shaw, Mr. John Henry Sykes (Briancliffe), Mr. John
Sykes (Acre House, Lindley), Mr. Joseph Woodhead, Alderman E. B.
Woodhead, Mr. John Lee Walker, and Mr. W. E. Wimpenny. A large number
of floral tributes had also been sent. The procession to Lindley
Church was headed by the police, among whom were included Captain
Harper, of Messrs. Hollins and Co.'s brigade ; and Mr. G. W.
Haigh, the hon. sec. of the Huddersfield and Holmfirth Fire Brigades
Friendly Society. They were followed by a number of gentlemen and
workpeople, and then the hearse, behind which were the carriages
containing the principal mourners, and a number of empty carriages
brought up the rear. As the sad and solemn procession slowly wended
its way along Bryan Road and Occupation Road, leading to the church,
the blinds at all the houses had been drawn. As the church was neared,
muffled peals were rung on the bells. A funeral service was conducted
in the church by the vicar, the Rev. A. H. W. Ridsdale, and amongst
the congregation, in addition to those gentlemen whose names have
been mentioned, were :—Alderman Alfred Walker, Alderman
John Sugden, Mr. F. Eastwood, Mr. Joshua Marshall, Mr. J. E. Sykes,
Mr. F. W. Robinson, Mr. J. J. Grist, and the Rev. Joel Mallinson.
Mr. F. S. Wilkinson, one of the churchwardens, also was present,
along with the sidesmen, Mr. R. H. Lendrum, Mr. G. L. Firth, Mr.
J. W. Hirst, and Mr. H. Peckett. The chancel, pulpit, and lectern
had been draped in black. Before the service commenced the organist,
Mr. T. Robins, played appropriate music for the occasion, including
"O rest in the Lord," Mendelssohn's "Songs without
words," (op. 26),
and the trio in Gunnod's "Funeral March." The service,
which was a most impressive and solemn one, was commenced with the
singing of the hymn "The sands of time are sinking," followed
by the 90th Psalm, to the beautiful chant by Felton. An appropriate
lesson was read by the Vicar, and shortly afterwards the service
closed with the hymn, "Now the labourer's task is o'er." As
the coffin, which had been placed before the lectern, was being conveyed
outside, and, as the mourners and congregation slowly filed out of
the church, the "Dead March" in "Saul" was played
on the organ. The concluded part of the burial service was then read
by the Vicar, and the coffin, which was of polished oak, with brass
furnishings, and which bore the simple inscription, "Fredk.
Henry Shaw, born Aug. 5th, 1842, died March 6th, 1902," was
deposited in its last resting place. A large number of persons who
had assembled gradually dispersed. The arrangements were carried
out by Messrs. B. Oxley & Sons, of Huddersfield.
The most noticeable aspect of the funeral is the absence
of Mrs. Sophia Shaw, Frederick's widow, leading the mourners. This
was at a time when women didn't always attend funerals, although on
this occasion three of Frederick's daughters did attend. Winifred is
not listed as being present although her husband, Arnold John Boddington,
is. Youngest son, Percy Burnop Shaw, did not attend due to him then
living in South Africa.
Frederick Henry Shaw " left gross value of estate valued
at £42,804 2s. 4d., including net personalty £40,062
18s. 11d." A considerable sum in 1902, illustrating his undoubted
success as a businessman.
Shaw family page set:
Frederick Arthur Shaw, visitor
Shaw family and their relationship
to the Boddington family.
I am very much indebted to Danika Lloyd of Family
who has undertaken the research to discover the history of the