While researching his own family, and their connection to
the Boddington brewery family, Pete Kilvert, Secretary, Friends of
Salford Cemeteries Trust, has unearthed much history about the Boddington
family. Pete has very kindly provided the following history of one
notable member of the Boddington family, Timothy Boddington, a brother
of Henry Boddington who established the brewery.
Timothy Boddington was a Corn Merchant and the younger brother of the
founder of the renowned Manchester brewery, Boddington’s.
He was born in Thame, Oxfordshire, on 28th February 1817, the son of
Baptists, John and Elizabeth Boddington. His father was a Master Miller
and he was the eighth child of ten, although three did not survive infancy.
His elder brother John came to Manchester, followed by Henry (who founded
Boddington’s Brewery) and then himself in 1836. In 1839 he established
a corn merchant business in
Broad Street, Pendleton.
Timothy Boddington married Alice Rushton in October 1838 and they had
a daughter Anne, who married Robert Leigh and had five children. At first
Timothy and Alice lived above the business, but later moved to Howard
House, Howard Street, off Eccles New Road, near Trafford Road. Timothy
took his son-in-law
into partnership and the business was known as Boddington and Leigh,
with depots in Shudehill and Long Millgate in Manchester as well as Broad
He was a strong member of the United Free Methodist Church in Eccles
New Road, and could be described as the father of the UMF churches in
the district with his devotion and huge financial support. He laid six
foundation stones between 1864 and 1880 at Liverpool Street Chapel, Moor
Lane Chapel (Swinton), Hankinson Street Chapel, Hankinson Street School,
Eccles New Road School and Hankinson Street enlargement. He was a teacher
at Eccles New Road Chapel and superintendent for 30 years. On Thursdays
he would visit the poor.
In politics Boddington was a moderate Liberal. He was elected
to the first Salford
School Board and stood twice for Salford Council, but was narrowly
defeated both times.
Timothy’s wife Alice died in September 1880 and he married again to
Mary Ann Hall. However, he died 5 years later, in 1885, at the age of
68. The funeral service was held at the Eccles New Road Chapel with a
cortège of 25 carriages proceeding to Weaste Cemetery. In 1886, a memorial
tablet was unveiled at the Eccles New Road Chapel, followed in 1889 by
a huge memorial stained glass window, displaying the Good Samaritan,
the Parable of the Talents, flowers and quotations.
© Copyright 2011 Pete Kilvert, Secretary, Friends of Salford Cemeteries